“ Practice becomes firmly grounded when well attended to for a long time, is consistent and done in all earnestness. ” — Sri Patanjali
Explore the classic art and science of Yoga utilizing restorative, strengthening and meditative Integral Yoga® methods to promote health, strength, flexibility, and peace of mind. Dana Karpain (see "about me") will use these Integral Yoga methods to assist you in attaining your individual goals of proper alignment, strength and stretch with regard to the physical Yoga Asanas (or postures). He will also work with you regarding any interest you may have in the pranayama (breathing) practices, as well as any specific meditation techniques and guidance you might want to explore. Dana also offers through "Your Yoga Class" the opportunity to have a full customized yoga class with his specific guidance for you as he guides you through your class. In addition, he offers you the possibility of including others of your choice in Your Yoga Class to create your own small class, receive Dana's individual instruction and share the fee for the class with the others you invite, making Your Yoga Class an affordable and revitalizing experience for all.
The following is a general description of the Integral Yoga methods...
Integral Yoga® (www.yogaville.org) is a synthesis of various branches of Yoga. It is a comprehensive system for the harmonious development of every aspect of the individual. Integral Yoga® Incorporates the following branches of yoga: Hatha, Raja, Bhakti, Karma, Jnana and Japa Yoga.
Hatha Yoga or the physical asanas (postures) is what most people associate with yoga in the west and is the part of Integral Yoga® that is mainly taught in the yoga studio. The regular class is one and a half hours long. The short class is one hour long.
Integral Yoga Hatha is a comprehensive system for personal transformation—physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. Each one and a half hour class incorporates chanting, eye movements, postures, deep relaxation, breathing practices and meditation that result in a profound experience of peace and well-being. Students of any age and condition are encouraged to explore each posture at their own pace with mindfully observing what arises without judgment. By balancing effort and surrender, the practitioner is able to discover the optimal flow of energy to achieve greater flexibility, strength, poise, and mental focus. Besides promoting the health of all the systems in the body, the Integral Yoga system is designed to draw the practitioner into a physical and mental stillness that leads to an experience of one’s true nature, which is ever peaceful and happy. Add an Integral Yoga Hatha class to your regular practice for an enhanced yoga experience.
The degree of difficulty in Integral Yoga Hatha is regulated by…
• The length of time the postures are held
• The length of rest between postures
• The choice of postures and their modifications
The general Integral Yoga Hatha class consists of the following sequence of components:
• Chanting – Chanting is a quick technique to draw the mind’s awareness inward and helps to clear and balance the channels of the Prana (life force) in the system.
• Eye Movements – Practiced to strengthen the eye muscles, tone the optic nerve and relieve eyestrain. The eyes are a very important part of the body that can often be overlooked in other methods of yoga.
• Asanas (postures) – Generally contain a flow sequence, backward bends, forward bends, inversion,twist and optional poses.
• Yoga Nidra (guided deep relaxation) – The tensing and releasing of the body parts to relax both physically and mentally, often includes a relaxing awareness meditation.
• Pranayama (breathing practices) – Generally includes Dirgha Svasam (deep three part breath), Kapalabhati (rapid diaphragmatic breath) and Nadi Suddhi (alternate nostril breathing) to tone, heal purify and strengthen the nervous and immune system, and calm and focus the mind.
• Meditation – The culmination of the class is a one to five minute silent meditation. Among meditations many benefits are it’s capacity to lower blood pressure, and cholesterol levels as well as calm and sooth the mind.
Your Yoga Class...Your Choice
You can choose to have your own personal yoga instruction class, concentrating on any specific aspects of your personal practice that interest you the most...or you can share the experience and cost by including your family and friends, all in the comfort of your own home, office or setting of your choice.
“My friend had told me how much she enjoyed Your Yoga Class, so I tried it and Dana really made me feel like it was My Yoga Class. I felt relaxed and energized at the same time.” —Ralph J. Begley, Retired young
“Dana personalizes his yoga instructional classes by incorporating your interests and needs. He encourages you to invite a friend or family member to share the cost and experience. I personally enjoy Dana's relaxing and meditative yoga style that always makes me feel energized.” —Betsy Markle, Registered Dietitian and Certified Personal Trainer
"The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali"
Translation and Commentary by Sri Swami Satchidananda
A masterful, clear, comprehensive and practical commentary on the Yoga principles and practices.
"There is Nothing Wrong with You"
by Cheri Huber
A meditative and understanding approach for becoming aware of your core value.